Friday, December 21, 2018

One December, Kyle Hunter (Book Review)


 About the book:
Nikki has loved Mike for as long as she can remember (as early as age seven!) Mike has his own past hurts to resolve, having lost both parents in an accident when he was fourteen. He’s tried to escape those painful memories by leaving New York and starting a new life on the West Coast. New facts indicate, years later, that his parents’ deaths might not have been an accident.
At Christmas Mike comes back to New York for the first time in three years. He and Nikki rekindle the friendship they had as children and share their newfound faith. Under a Christmas moon romantic sparks fly . . . but their mutual attraction takes an unexpected detour.
Nikki is devastated, believing her one chance for a relationship with Mike is over. She impulsively takes a one-year teaching opportunity in Paris, so that she can face her own fears and get over Mike.
If Mike and Nikki run away, can they find each other again? 


  My thoughts: ⭐⭐⭐
  
   I was hesitant about Nikki in the beginning. 
  
 She lacked the strength and stubbornness and independence I love in a heroine. 
  Nikki was a sheltered brat with no mind of her own who was completely dependent on the men in her life. 
    Nikki defines herself by men. She cares WAY too much about what men think of her. 
  
 I kinda really disliked Nikki and Mike.  (who I couldn't stop calling Nick) 
  Mike was a jerk. 
  Always judging and hurting Nikki. (Not in like a physical way, of course.) 
  He was too busy trying to change Nikki to notice his own faults and to do something about those. 
(Reminds me of a certain Bible verse) 

   This is a book I wanted to love. 
     The story line wasn't actually all that bad. 
        I didn't really care for Kyle's writing style though. 
  But I did appreciate the character growth on Nikki's part. 

  From being afraid to frequent fast food restaurants on her own to visiting foreign countries all by herself. 


I really enjoyed the descriptions of Paris and its surrounding cities.
Paris is a place I really want to visit.

  Some warnings if you're thinking of reading this book,
1  I hope this won't spoil too much, but, there was cheating.

2   there was also alcohol consumption.

 I know that doesn't bother a lot of people, I just prefer things like that to stay out of the Christian fiction genre.

3   there were some very descriptive kisses.


  ** All thoughts expressed are my own, I was in no way required to write a positive review **
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like what I thrifted?

I've gone thrifting a few times this month so here's some of my favorite finds from each trip!                                      ...